Three Common Present Perfect Errors

When using the English present perfect there are some common mistakes made by speakers. This article will look at some of the most common errors made. It will also give some tips for English learners when using this tense.

Common Error No. 1

The first error using the wrong preposition. When using the present perfect to state where you have visited before using the verb ‘to be,’ many students use the preposition ‘in’ instead of ‘to.’
Where have you been?
  • I’ve been to France, Spain and Italy. (NOT – I’ve been in..)
  • This week I’ve been to London and Brighton. (NOT – I’ve been in..)

Common Error No. 2

Another common error is using the present simple instead of the present perfect when talking about actions that started in the past and continue in the present.
  • I have been a student since 2009. (NOT – I am a student since 2009)
  • She has been in France for 3 years. (NOT – She is in France for 3 years)

Common Error No.3

Time expressions are important with the present perfect as mistakes are made when the wrong time expressions are used. Note that specific time expressions in the past can’t be used with the present perfect.
  • I’ve drunk three cups of coffee today. 
  • We haven’t studied a lot this semester.
Limiting these common errors and using the present perfect tense correctly will make you improve your English and help you speak more freely.



Bookmark and Share

16 comments:

  1. Yes, most of the people doing same mistake. They all should read this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making the same mistakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou for this wondrous post, I am glad I observed this website on yahoo. tienganhkissenglish.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. I appreciate your post and look forward to more home cleaning new york xettuyencaodangduochanoi.edu.vn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really I enjoy your site with effective and useful information. It is included very nice post with a lot of our resources.thanks for share. i enjoy this post. KISS English Center

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read your blog frequently, and I just thought I’d say keep up the fantastic work! It is one of the most outstanding blogs in my opinion. hoc tieng anh giao tiep

    ReplyDelete
  7. The article looks magnificent, but it would be beneficial if you can share more about the suchlike subjects in the future. Keep posting. điều kiện du học Nhật Bản

    ReplyDelete
  8. The study of Home Science offers openings for Careers related to: 360DigiTMG data science course in hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Thanks for the Information.Interesting stuff to read.Great Article.
    I enjoyed reading your post, very nice share.data science training"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very awesome!!! When I searched for this I found this website at the top of all blogs in search engines.

    Data Science Training

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting post,its really helpful for me.Thanks for sharing this post.

    german language classes in Pune

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really nice and interesting post. I was looking for this kind of information and enjoyed reading this one. Keep posting. Thanks for sharing.
    data science training

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic blog, I’m glad to read this blog. Informative and knowledgeable content. Keep sharing more articles with us. Thank you.
    Data Science Course Training in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us. I assure this would be beneficial for most of the people.
    data analytics course in hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for such a great post and the review, I am totally impressed! Keep stuff like this coming.
    cyber security course

    ReplyDelete